[wplug] Window Managers, Desktop Environments ect.

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Wed Mar 14 16:22:09 EST 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Luquilla Hughes wrote:

> On a P133 with 16mb of ram you run blackbox, nothing else :^)

on my athlon 700 with 256mb of ram i run fvwm2, nothing else. i really
dont get much more utility by running kde or gnome. i started out using
kde, but the little cde looking task bar takes up too much desktop space
for me. i ajusted my settings in kde so that it disappeared. then i
made it so that kpager started up with X. then i thought about it a bit
and decided i was recreateing fvwm2 with the extra overhead of kde. now i
just usw fvwm2. i have all the qt/gtk libs installed so i can use
kde/gnome applications when i want.

sometimes i run kde or gnome to show people what linux _can_ look like,
but for me i just dont think it _should_. so i'm curious about reviews of
the lightweight desktop environments/window managers. i've heard a
bit about blackbox. what about the others-icewm, xfc, etc. has anyone used
these who can offer an opinon from the angle of: it might not be alot of
fun to look at but it works really well.

--
john