[wplug] buying boxes with linux preinstalled.

David Ostroske eksortso at telerama.com
Mon Mar 5 18:10:55 EST 2001

Quoting jmh3 at linuxfreak.com:

> ... i
> was
> wondering if anyone had opinions about companies that sold linux
> computers
> with linux preinstalled?

Well, I'm not speaking for him, but James O'Kane directed me to pricewatch.com
for computer deals. Through it, I got my home PC at pricepc.com with Red Hat 6.2
preinstalled. All the hardware was Linux compatible, save for the modem. But I
had a 56k Linux-compatible modem already, and was planning for DSL service, so
all I needed was the Ethernet card.

But it depends on what your professor wants to do with the system. Mine doesn't
have additional PCI expansion slots (though it does have USB) and the graphics
and sound are merely adequate.

Nevertheless, if I were you, I'd still check pricewatch.com and compare Linux
systems.

--- Dave Ostroske
    eksortso at telerama.com