[wplug] Recommendations for laptop PCMCIA card.

Randy Allan Spark rspark at blackbox.com
Tue Jun 26 20:15:42 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I have a laptop and I'm trying to get it connected to my corporate LAN, and then I'll be building my own LAN at home.  Right now I'm having trouble with the PCMCIA cards that I can
purchase.  I had one, but the chipset wasn't supported.  So, I'm asking for recommendations from the LUG as a whole for a PCMCIA LAN card.  One that takes minimal arcane set-up.  I
found one that the instructions are just short of 'reinstall the OS and at the same time...".  Preferrably I'd like one that is as close to PNP with Debian and pcnet/cardmgr as I can get.

My specs are as follows:

PII 133 MHz.
1.2 Gig HD
24 meg RAM

I don't know whether I can use a 32 bit card or if I should stick with a 16 bit card, maybe more compatible with my old equipment.  Any suggestions are more than welcome, and I will be
coming to the installfest this time, so if I can't get this figured out by then, maybe I can get a little help.

Thanks,

Randy