[wplug] ReiserFS boot messages

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Tue Jun 26 11:56:01 EDT 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, David G Matthews wrote:

> reiserfs:warning: CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK is set to ON
> reiserfs:warning: - it is slow mode for debugging.

When your kernel was recompiled, an option flag was turned on in the
ReiserFS code which activates a good deal of internal consistency checking
for the purpose of debugging.  Enough checking, in fact, to slow
performance down.

> I'm not sure what either of these mean.  "Slow mode", in particular, has
> me wondering.  I'm not sure whether this affects filesystem access times

Enough that you will probably notice (at least I did, anyway.)

> or not, but I'd like to get the fastest possible access time, so if this
> is related to access speeds, is there a way to enable a "fast mode"?  Are
> there any Reiser gurus out there who can interpret these messages?

If you enter the kernel configuration system -> File Systems -> ReiserFS,
turn off the 'Have reiserfs do extra internal checking' option and
recompile/reboot.  That should take care of it.

-><-   Doctor Who -- KSV bani PLI -- finger for PGP/GnuPG public keys  -><-
Steel tide on an asphalt beach.