[wplug] mpegs /gtv/plaympeg from Loki

Rich Rosenbaum rrosenbaum at dmralliance.com
Thu Jun 21 10:30:17 EDT 2001

Hello All,

First, thank you in advance for being patient. I am a newbie, and after
looking through the last 410 posts I am more respectful than ever to all

of you. I don't write code, and am just learning about ipchains (yuk)

Dilema in a nutshell....full-screen (640x480) and double size playback
of MPEG's is pixelated.

The playback is beautiful at standard resolution. My system (RH
7.1)(don't laugh toooooo hard) emachines 633i, that's a 633 Celeron, 64
MB Ram, on board i810 AGP. I also have a 533 emachine with the same
video and memory, a 200 Pentium MMX with an older All-In-Wonder (RH 6.2.

Cousin says -buy new video card. He has pretty good system (1Ghz
Athlon,blah blah) Full screen looks great to him.

Friend says don't waste mytime and money til you find out what -2 or the

other commands actually mean. Something is causing the pixellation, so I

need to find out if it's hardware related, or software related. When you

actually use the -2, what does that do, as well as any of the other
commands?

So, question 1is....are gtv/plaympeg the same (that's got to be the
dumbest of all)

#2. What does the software do when you use -2, or --commands like
640x480, etc?

#3. does a better video card help, which ones, better>worse, and what
defines better or worse from a software point of view? Does the software
determine if the hardware can accelerates the playback?

Before you start spitting at your screen, I have to be honest, I was a
Mac guy befor I was a Linux guy (both better than Winblows in my newbie
opinion). I play mpg's on anything from an older iMac, to a beige G3, to

a blue/white G3 using Quicktime all the time, full screen etc, and have
never seen this problem before.

Any advice is appreciated, and thank you again for your patience.

Rich Rosenbaum
rrosenbaum at dmralliance.com

I am wondering-------why are you here? - Master Yoda

--
As always, if you have any questions, you may contact me at
rrosenbaum at dmralliance.com, or by calling 412-798-2525. We will continue

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

Sincerely,

Rich Rosenbaum
President, The DMR Alliance Inc.

Phone: (412) 798-2525