[wplug] Problem with Postfix after Install

Jeffry D. Woods jdwoods at home.com
Tue Jun 19 20:26:59 EDT 2001

I am relatively new to Linux, been playing around with it for about two
years now.  I can set up a server decently just from the instal CD, or
now CD's, in a plain vanalla fashion with a little bit of security and
it works okay but nothing fancy.

I downloaded the RedHat 7.1  ISO images, burned the CD's, and did an
installation which went pretty cleanly. I wanted to change the MTA from
sendmail to postfix, and followed the guide at:
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/howto/RH-postfix-HOWTO/book1.html
This went pretty smoothly too, but I have an after install problem that
I can't seem to solve even though I've look at it pretty good, and it
seems to be a permission problem. When this was done only the root
mailbox was created before hand, and even though I made a jwoods account
for myself at installation it was never used. After the installation, I
made a test account and bounced a message to it and the jwoods account
from root which never got delivered. Investigating, I found that the
test or jwoods files in /var/mail which is a link to /var/spool/mail was
not made. To test this again, I removed the test account, created it
again and found the same result. I can create these files myself,
examples: 'touch jwoods' and 'touch test', and everything will then work
fine.

How can I correct this so the files are created automatically when I
create an account instead of manually creating the file myself? I do
believe this is a permission problem, but everything seems to be correct
and pointed in the right places???

Thanks Much,

Jeff