[wplug] Dual booting with NT 4.0 WS

Paul Stein diveman59 at whale-mail.com
Fri Jun 1 23:35:36 EDT 2001

---- Begin Original Message ----
 From: Edward Walter <ewalter at tpresence.com>
Sent: Tue, 22 May 2001 10:46:11 -0400
To: "'wplug at wplug.org'" <wplug at wplug.org>
Subject: RE: [wplug] Dual booting with NT 4.0 WS

Assuming that you installed lilo on Linux's boot partition, I'll assume
/dev/hda2 here, you need to do the following:

1) Boot into linux using the boot floppy you created at install time... You
did create a boot floppy, right ;^)
2) dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

Walter,
Thanks for the information. I finally got it to work after I peeled the boot sector from / instead of the root partition.
Your message jogged my memory. Thanks Again!
Paul
3) copy bootsect.lnx to a floppy
4) boot into NT
5) copy bootsect.lnx to c:\
6) edit c:\boot.ini and add the following line
c:\bootsect.lnx="linux"
7) make sure to set boot.ini back to read only... sometimes NT gets upset if
you don't
8) reboot and verify that you can get into linux without the floppy