[wplug] The Doc delemia, the ISP list.

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Mon Jul 23 13:17:17 EDT 2001

Sometime in July Matthew Hughes assaulted keyboard and produced...

|I am in the midst of going to an M$ free home while at the same time looking for a job in IT. My first question is;
|Who do you go all Linux when the job postings ask for your resume in word Doc format?
|

|I am currently solving this problem by leaving win98/word on my wife's computer. But shortly the expectation will be to upgrade it to word 2002 and we arn't/can't shell out the $400 to buy another legeal copy.
|Any suggestions, instruction, or links on how to  overcome this particular hurdle?

i know we cannot always be that picky, but if they only want things in
word doc format do you really want to work there? i realize the hr
department might be run by silly people and they might not reflect the
mentality of the department you would work for.

so here are your options as i see them:

  o still use windows:
    install vmware/win4lin and use the same version of word from now on.

  o differetn format:
    ask them if they will accept a document in postscript or pdf

  o find something in linux that produces that format:
    star office and abiword come to mind. if you dont do things that
    are real fancy these should work. i would at least look at your
    resume in word after using other programs to make it. i've had
    problems with fonts when i went from staroffice to word.

the only way to create a completely compatable program is for microsoft to
release the standards for their doc format. i really dont see this
happening any time soon.

--
john