[wplug] LILO - SCSI & IDE dual boot

bill billpwl1 at home.com
Sun Jul 8 07:30:30 EDT 2001

Jim, as we discussed at the GUM here is a copy of my lilo.conf file.  Linux
and lilo are installed on the ide drive.  windows is installed on the smaller
SCSI drive. The machine BIOS boots the IDE drive. The 'map-drive' command in
the 'other' section 're-maps' the BIOS drive ID numbers so the boot continues
using the SCSI drive instead of the IDE drive and in this case loads windows.
The BIOS drive ID numbers are reported during the boot as the BIOS discovers
the drives. Usually reported in hex as (80h) and (81h) for the first and second
drives respectively regardless of drive type and controller.  The info page for
lilo.conf doesn't discuss the 'map-drive' option, although the
'disk=device-name' command might be used to achieve the same result.

Note: This configuration is not an endorsement of MS windows, it is required
for compatibility with WIFE V1.0

#
# /etc/lilo.conf -
# target