[wplug] Samba (sometimes)

Zach Paine zman at angstrom.net
Sun Jan 28 14:44:26 EST 2001

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 14:43:12 jjlasalle wrote:

> Sometimes my Windows clients don't logon to my Samba server. The Windows
> 98
> domain logon complains about an invalid account or password. Repeating
> the
> logon procedure two or three times (with the same information) will
> eventually connect. Has anyone run into this problem before?  BTW,  I
> read
> the "fine" manuals. :)

"fine"?

There are a lot of issues w/ password encryption and win98.  You should
look into the subject.
Taken from the SMB howto:
"In the [global] section of /etc/smb.conf, add the following lines:

    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

You are highly encouraged to read the files ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and
WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation before doing this!"

If you have encryption enabled, read those files!

--
Zach Paine
http://www.wplug.org/~zman/zman.key