[wplug] RedHat 7 and Reiserfs

David Tessitor dttessitor at home.com
Thu Jan 25 15:50:38 EST 2001

NOTE: hitting reply in Netscape 7.6  to respond to SJ's post
brought up his address and not the list address (I added it
manually).  I've noticed this before a couple times.  Is
something not adding the "reply to" for WPLUG on the server?

------

NOW BACK TO REGULAR PROGRAMMING:

As Jonathan mentioned, Mandrake 7.2 has reiserfs capability
built in as a module which is included in the RAM disk image
which it uses for booting.  It works fine for me.  Mandrake, a
derivative of RH, has some nice things RH doesn't and,
conversely, there are a few programs included on the RH
Powertools disk that don't work in Mdk.

RH, on the other hand, requires recompiling the kernel to add
reiserfs support.  There is more information about it on the
reiserfs website, <http://namesys.com/>.

I found this on their page:

          I am using RedHat 7.0 with gcc 2.96,
          why is ReiserFS unstable?

               The choice of gcc 2.96 by RedHat
               as the default gcc was a big
               Slashdot controversy. gcc 2.96 is
               unstable, and ReiserFS in
               particular is one of the things
               that will fail for it. Read the
               linux kernel instructions about
               what compiler to use.

--------

Also from Namesys:

How do I install Debian potato with
          reiserfs as root partition ?

               Here are instructions,
<http://namesys.com/potato_part.html>, by Dr A V
               Le Blanc.

--------

Here's a link for a Brazilian website with more information
about RH + Reiserfs and a ready made kernel:

<http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br

I've not tried it yet on my test RH 7.0 installation, but you
might take a look.

--------

An added note:  RH 7.0 also supposedly has problems with
Win4Lin.  I did recompile a Mdk 7.2 kernel explicitly for
Win4Lin with reiserfs included.  Unfortunately, I haven't gotten
Win4Lin to work with it yet, however, it does seem to work
otherwise.  NeTraverse does support Mdk 7.1 and earlier, along
with RH 6.x.  They are also expecting to add support for Mdk 7.2
shortly.

Hope something here helps.

Dave