[wplug] The power of open source made audible!

David Matthews dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Sat Jan 20 19:34:03 EST 2001

We all know that Linux makes a great server or development OS, and most of
us now use it as a general-purpose desktop OS as well.  But Linux has
finally conquered the last bastion of proprietary software: multimedia and
the arts.  This Tuesday, the 23rd, at 8 p.m. my piece "be(com)ing..." for
three live instruments with real-time DSP processing, will be performed at
the Frick Fine Arts Auditorium in Oakland.  This is the kind of thing more
commonly associated with MacOS and expensive specialized audio hardware,
but I'm doing it on Linuix, using an off-the-shelf SBLive card and only
open-source software.  Come check it out - it's free!
If you're curious about the software, check out http://www.ircam.fr/jmax.
-david g matthews