[wplug] Setting PATH

Luquilla Hughes luquilla at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 19 13:38:01 EST 2001

Yes from what I have read those would both work but for everything I have
read it always comes with a huge security warning not to do that.

If you are a single user system it may not be so critical, however if you
change your path enviroment then you change what programs get run.
So for example you have a Bash script that presents the processes in color
called ps in your current dir. By placing the current dirrectory before /bin
or /sbin it will run that instead of the system ps.
The security concern comes in when a file gets placed into you current
directory, like a simple shell script named ls, and it consists of "rm -r
~/*" which you don't want but it was the first ls found in your path.
hope that makes sense and helps. if not maybe somebody will clarify.