[wplug] Any Suggestion for DSL Service for Linux?

jmh3 at linuxfreak.com jmh3 at linuxfreak.com
Tue Jan 16 09:40:41 EST 2001

> John,
>
> If they used my machine to relay mail, does that mean they've broken into the
> system?
no. it is my understanging that  by default sendmail will recieve email
to be sent from anyone. it is up to the admin to configure it so it only
accepts it from certain hosts. this is based on my expirences with linux
distros like redhat. configuring sendmail is _not_ a trivial task to say
the least.

the profs here with sgi boxes get hacked pretty frequently. i suggested
that you sign up to the list so that you would be notified of any security
advisories. i'm not trying to make you paranoid, but sgi's are less
common than linux machines. because of this you are not likely to hear
about issues concerning security on irix in a public forum like the  wplug
list.