[wplug] Building a Linux Box - Suggestions?

Richard A. Bilonick rabil at home.com
Tue Jan 16 01:02:47 EST 2001

I wanted to take a crack at building my own Linux box. I would be happy to have the
new Compaq Deskpro EN I have at work (it's the first computer at work I've been
reasonably happy with) - it runs Linux very nicely and Linux was easy to install.
But I think they are rather expensive.

I'm familiar with the Adaptec 2940 ultra SCSI wide adaptor, and ethernet cards based
on the Intel Ethernet Express Pro 100 chip set (these are in the Compaq so I know
they work).

But I have no clue as to the motherboard (type or cost for a 733mhz Pentium III).
Where would be a good place to buy the equipment? I would also need a CDROM and
floppy drive (I have a extra SCSI hard drive). Toshiba has a SCSI all-in-one
CDROM/burner/DVD drive for about $230. Would that work?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Rick

Rick Bilonick -  mailto:rab at nauticom.net mailto:rabil at home.com