[wplug] Good hubs and what not.

Jason McCormick jason at packetwarriors.net
Fri Jan 12 12:49:02 EST 2001

  The differences between categories of wire are the quailty of copper, the
twists per inch and other cross-talk elimination features.  Category 3
cannot run 100Mpbs ever.  If you did get it to 100Mbps then you've got some
super-high quality wire and a very error-prone/accepting hub.  Even at that
point I'd doubt that it'd run 100Mpbs reliably.  CAT5 does 100Mpbs full-
duplex with no problem.  CAT5e will do Gigabit ethernet, but not terribly
reliability.  Categoy 6 Level 7 is the current highest-bandwidth cable
that's available.  Cat6L7 is actually a proposed final standard for Cat7.
It has a + shaped plastic sheild to prevent cross talk as well was very
tightly twisted wires.

  - Jason