[wplug] Good hubs and what not.

Rob Nelson ronelson at vt.edu
Thu Jan 11 22:40:48 EST 2001

>up and down the cable. they arent going to say hey thats cat3, and i'm not
>going to run on it. what will happen is more packet loss and collisions.

Altho cat3 doesn't have the correct number of wire pairs to work at 100MB? ;)

Okay, so we're getting into the standards deal. I know not of an IT person
who slacks from the standards *and* calls it by cat3 if it doesn't fit the
specs. If it says cat5 on the box, and it tests fine at 100, it's cat5. I
just didn't want the person setting up their home lan or whatnot to feel
that if the wind blew a piece of paper over top of a wire their network
might stop :)

Rob Nelson
ronelson at vt.edu