[wplug] NOTICE: Member Organizational Meeting

Luquilla Hughes luquilla at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 11 00:46:05 EST 2001

(please excuse my language, but I prefer to swear at times)

I have been a member of Wplug for over a year.

I can only once recall having seen rtfm in a post. I think that is a pretty
good indication of the friendliness of this organization.

I think that if you are unhappy about what this organization is doing, or in
this case not doing, do something about it!

I have complained also about the structure but have come to realize that the
seeming lack of structure is desired, BUT, there can be structure created
within that 'lack' of structure.

I think that if you are unhappy with the activity within wplug, YOU need to
find out who else is unhappy and get them with you to do something about it.
I think that the radio list is a good example, we wanted more, we identified
each other, the one that was most motivated joined the plan team set up a
sublist and we began our project. We have not produced or desired goal, YET,
but it is our shortcomings not wplug's.

I think that you can not force others to do the activities that you want to
have happen.

I have also talked to several 'new' people, and many of them were interested
in learning more.( but teaching with structured lesson plans, lesson
preparation, and all of the other things that you desire  is difficult. it
is both time and energy consuming. Answering a question that is asked is
less so. and that is why it has been done this way so far.)

The only thing that David (or do you prefer Dave) is missing is volunteers.
(and a place to have it, you should try asking the person who is currently
responsible for our location if he/they can get a second room or more time.)

Solution 1(preffered): Decide what project you would like to happen first,
ask for some volunteers, work your ass off.

Solution 2: Find out who @ Pitt can get space over there, breathe life into
PittLUG, set up the projects you want for PittLUG and work your ass off.

Personally, I wouldn't mind PittLUG coming back to life, if it not mutually
exclusive with wplug. I think there is 200+ people in this town and growing
who use Linux and it would be nice to have alternate sources for help and
times that I could attend either meeting. Everytime wplug has a meeting
there are new faces(5 in Jan, and at least 3 in Dec.), there is plenty of
people to go around. The key here is that this must not be a split of Wplug
but another source for everything that makes Linux great.