[wplug] NOTICE: Member Organizational Meeting

jjlasalle jjlasalle at home.com
Wed Jan 10 10:01:18 EST 2001

I was hoping this thread would be short lived but I (respectfully) take
issue with this post. It's natural for those close in age and ability to
want to be together. However, I've always been amazed at the open, patient
atmosphere of the WPLUG. I don't expect or want to be patronized. Fred and
I have often commented on the valuable resources provided by the groups
activities. Are the activities unstructured? At times, yes. Have I been
excluded or made to feel unwanted? Never. Splitting into separate groups
(suggested elsewhere in this thread) would be a disservice to WPLUG and the
Linux community in general. It saddens me to see the group almost to the
point of mediation.

At 08:17 AM 1/9/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I have been reading some of the replies sent in repsonse to your
>"Organizational ..." email and I cannot say I am surprised with them.  I
>have attended a couple wplug meetings and installfests and can say I got the
>impression that I was not welcomed to be there.  I made the mistake of
>questioning some Linux abilities (such as why it is so hard to get a printer
>to work with the op system and apps).  I got the impression that the wplug
>'members' were basically techie children and don't want others playing in
>their sandbox.  They feel they can do great things but don't challenge them
>to accept responsibility.  This may be a characteristic of the open source
>community.  I see the same type of people at Perl conferences.

"Nip it. Nip it in the bud."  -- Barney Fife, Mayberry RFD