[wplug] NOTICE: Member Organizational Meeting

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Mon Jan 8 14:45:12 EST 2001

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, David Tessitor wrote:

> SOME  COMMENTS  for those who care about WPLUG:
>
> Of course, there is nothing wrong with this, however, having
> the opportunity available for everyone to enjoy depends upon
> that somebody and someone who happen to do the work.

Why do you say "there is nothing wrong with this" when you obviously think
there is?

> While many "members" are perfectly content with everything

I am very unhappy with your choice to put the word 'members' in
double-quotes.  Name names, rather than hinting.  There is no evil upper
hierachy keeping you from doing anything.  You may like to represent it
that way, but it's more like this: People willing to do things do
things.

> remaining just as it has been, the group's openness has
> attracted people whose perspective of Linux isn't steeped in
> their day to day professional lives.  Some of these people
> would like WPLUG to offer more than it currently does, and
> they have expressed a willingness to put in the necessary
> effort to make it happen.  Unfortunately, while comfortable to
> some, WPLUG's structurelessness renders impossible these
> ambitions.

You chose the word "impossible", which is a very strong word.  Are they
subscribed to the list?  Can they not post?  Can they come to meetings and
talk to members?  You seem to equate a structure of governing with the
ability to get things done.  I need not explain how wrong this is, but
just give two examples.  The US senate.  Open Source Programming.

>                  Furthermore, whether overt or covert, an
> insistence upon continuing the present arrangements (with, at
> most, superficial adjustments) effectively forbids any efforts
> to try to do more.

I really don't see how you can get about making these wild accusations
without sounding paranoid and being argumentative.

> What is missing is effective organization and that begins with
> structure.  Organizational structure is the skeleton of any
> organization.  It doesn't matter how much muscle, energy,
> talent, and desire there may be to do anything, without a
> skeleton upon which to function, an organism is reduced to
> being, at best, a pulsating blob on the floor. -- In the
> biological sphere, slugs, slimemold, protoplasms, jellyfish,
> and worms represent about the highest level of life forms
> which one can find without solid structures.  In an
> organizational context, unstructured counterparts range from
> the occasional, spontaneous mob action down to simple
> get-togethers which may or may not be somewhat regularized.

I see you are comparing organizations to the biological structure in
life.  May I remind you that while bacteria, molds and nematodes may lack
stucture, they are the also the fastest to evolve and adapt to new
situations, because they aren't overburdened by maintaining the structure
you so highly value.  Also, if you looked at the total biomass of such
creatures on the earth, you'd find that the majority of biomass is made up
of very simple organisms, lacking very much structure at all.

But I am most impressed by your choice to include slime molds.  I think
that our group is very well described by this simple organism.  You see,
slime molds usually live out their life as a blob of undifferentiated
cells.  But, when it comes to reproduce, it *becomes* a structured
organization, some cells becoming rigid stalks, some becoming protective
shells, and some creating spores to fire off to some new area to
explore.  WPLUG's behavior mirrors this.  We all work independantly, but
when it comes time that we need to decide on a new project, we can all
choose roles that will let us work toward that new project.  We are not
burdened by that useless structure until it is necessary.

> As we begin the new year-century-millennium, I look forward to
> working with you as a fellow WPLUG member to realize our best
> potential.  I hope to see you at February's 2pm Member
> Organizational Meeting.

I would also appreciate if people actually went to the meetings, where
they could experience what WPLUG is *REALLY* about.  While DT might have
good ideas for what WPLUG could be, I think he really doesn't care about
what WPLUG is about.  He doesn't go to meetings.  He doesn't know much
about what linux is.  He doesn't understand the open source movement.  It
seems his knowledge of political matters is quite expansive, but I doubt
that his desires to 'improve' wplug does not lie in promoting linux, but
only toward his own political agendas.

-- jonathan "No Nickname" billings