[wplug] How is Xserver selection done?

David Tessitor dttessitor at home.com
Thu Jan 4 12:18:06 EST 2001

Now that XF86 4.01 is available and in some distributions, if I am
to use it at all, I need to be able to select which version is used
for a session because some programs that I want to use require the
old XF86 3.3.6 -- e.g. IBM's HomePage Builder suite (which is
available in Linux for web design).  You might say, "If you want to
use HomePage Builder, you have to bring your 3.3.6 with you, because
at IBM they don't accept running it from console, and they don't
take 4.01!"

I can't remember if win4lin is another.

I know that the Mandrake 7.2 installation process asks if one wants
to use the new or old version, but I can't find any configuration
file that mentions the version selection.  In fact, other than there
being a config file for each version itself, I don't see them
mentioned at all.  I assume, though, that it can't be determined
simply  by having the new config file present, because I just did a
fresh installation selecting the old version, and the new config was
also installed (BTW, I used reiserfs for the first time, too).

Any ideas of how to select between the Xservers?

Dave