[wplug] A great book

Steve Jones steve at jonescape.com
Wed Jan 3 10:22:44 EST 2001

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 10:14:07AM -0500, David G Matthews wrote:
> I just got a hold of Dave Phillips's "The Book of Linux
> Music and Sound", which I highly recommend to anyone
> even vaguely interested in using Linux for audio and
> multimedia (which happens to be my field). It covers
> everything from hardcore synthesis and DSP to MP3's to
> games with sound to hard-disk recording, and includes
> a CD full of free (mostly GPL'd) software. I've been
> recommending this book and these apps to my colleagues
> in the computer music world, most of whom are still Mac
> users (as I used to be), as proof that Linux holds up not
> only on the desktop, but in the studio as well. However, I
> think that non-musicians would definitely find this stuff
> interesting as well, especially developers. Check out
> http://sound.condorow.net.

Do they discuss Csound? Rosegarden? Other sequencing
software? Is their MIDI coverage good?

--
Steve Jones                            <steve at jonescape.com>

PGP: 1A98501A
fp:  D695 6031 30F5 70E6 975F  C876 1956 946C 1A98 501A

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of
a dog, it's too dark to read."
                                      -- G. Marx