[wplug] A great book

David G Matthews dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Wed Jan 3 10:14:07 EST 2001

I just got a hold of Dave Phillips's "The Book of Linux Music and Sound",
which I highly recommend to anyone even vaguely interested in using Linux
for audio and multimedia (which happens to be my field).  It covers
everything from hardcore synthesis and DSP to MP3's to games with sound to
hard-disk recording, and includes a CD full of free (mostly GPL'd)
software.  I've been recommending this book and these apps to my
colleagues in the computer music world, most of whom are still Mac users
(as I used to be), as proof that Linux holds up not only on the desktop,
but in the studio as well.  However, I think that non-musicians would
definitely find this stuff interesting as well, especially developers.
Check out http://sound.condorow.net.
-dgm