[wplug] @home cable question.

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Thu Feb 22 20:19:16 EST 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Rafael E. Herrera wrote:

> If you are not running an open web server, I don't see a reason why not
> point your host+domain to the your current IP number.

This is rather reassurring, I must be honest.

> Emailing your IP to yourself is a pain in the ass, I've tried it. Do you
> have a permanent IP number? If not you will have to update the number in
> the name server periodically.

Yes, I have a static IP address.

> Alternatively, take a look at http://www.dyndns.org/, is a non profit
> and does what you talk about.

I have used DynDNS, and I was not particularly impressed with them.  I had
a lot of problems getting address updates to register at all, and so gave
up.  This is one of the r

> In terms of someone finding out what servers you have running, that is
> what ipchains (2.2.x) and netfilter (2.4.x) are for. Block all networks
> except the ones you want to be able to connect to you. A port scan form
> other machines will see nothing.

If I could just block the systems they usually scan from, everything would
probably turn out well.  Sometimes I SSH in from another @home system when
I'm out and about, so blocking the entirity of home.com might not be a
good idea, only select portions.

-><-   Doctor Who -- KSV bani PLI -- finger for PGP/GnuPG public keys  -><-
Climate is what you expect. Weather is what you get.