[wplug] @home cable question.

Rafael E. Herrera raffo at neuronet.pitt.edu
Thu Feb 22 10:21:30 EST 2001

Bryce Lynch wrote:

> Hello.
>
> For the past few days, I have been considering pointing a hostname for a
> domain I've registered at my @home cable connection's IP address, but have
> been having second thoughts.  There have been several horror stories
> published by people who have gotten their connections pulled for so much
> as a dhs.org hostname, and I really don't want to lose my connection.
> What do you think they chances would be of their discovering this?
>
> I don't plan on running any servers, I just want to be able to access my
> system from the outside via SSH while I'm at work, and if I can use my
> system as a placeholder for this domain until I can get it hosted from a
> more suitable connection, so much the better.  Has anyone done this in the
> past, and if so, were there any repercussions?

If you are not running an open web server, I don't see a reason why not
point your host+domain to the your current IP number.

Emailing your IP to yourself is a pain in the ass, I've tried it. Do you
have a permanent IP number? If not you will have to update the number in
the name server periodically.

Alternatively, take a look at http://www.dyndns.org/, is a non profit
and does what you talk about.

In terms of someone finding out what servers you have running, that is
what ipchains (2.2.x) and netfilter (2.4.x) are for. Block all networks
except the ones you want to be able to connect to you. A port scan form
other machines will see nothing.

If using suse, look into their 'firewal' package.
--
     Rafael