[wplug] @home cable question.

jmh3 at linuxfreak.com jmh3 at linuxfreak.com
Thu Feb 22 09:26:51 EST 2001

> Hello.
>
> For the past few days, I have been considering pointing a hostname for a
> domain I've registered at my @home cable connection's IP address, but have
> been having second thoughts.  There have been several horror stories
> published by people who have gotten their connections pulled for so much
> as a dhs.org hostname, and I really don't want to lose my connection.
> What do you think they chances would be of their discovering this?
>
> I don't plan on running any servers, I just want to be able to access my
> system from the outside via SSH while I'm at work, and if I can use my
> system as a placeholder for this domain until I can get it hosted from a
> more suitable connection, so much the better.  Has anyone done this in the
> past, and if so, were there any repercussions?

i know this is getting technical, but if you ssh to your box you are
running an ssh server. if the at home folks do a port scan of your
computer they will see this and any other servers you haven't shut down. i
realize this isnt' what the average user thinks of when they hear the word
server.

just a thought
john