[wplug] Recent news: IBM's commitment to Linux

Hagbard Celine hceline at softhome.net
Fri Feb 16 13:25:39 EST 2001

> I suppose it is cool to see more people (and very powerful ones at that)
> backing Linux, but one of the main reasons I got into Linux in the first
> place was its anti-corporate orientation.  And obviously I don't just
> speak for myself on that one.  I'd rather seen IBM back Linux than
> Windows, but Linux always seemed to be doing ok without the big companies
> (IBM, Dell, Compaq - everyone seems to be jumping on the Linux bandwagon).
> Anyway, just my $0.02.
> -dgm

My main concern with corporate backing of Linux is that it would lead to the
corporate world trying to dictate what Linux does and how Linux does it.  It
has been my experience that when any corporation gets its hands into any
private project, the project heads right down the toilet.  I hope Linux can be
saved from that fate, but I'm not optimistic...

Hagbard