[wplug] Recent news: IBM's commitment to Linux

jmh3 at linuxfreak.com jmh3 at linuxfreak.com
Fri Feb 16 13:16:55 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, David G Matthews wrote:

> I suppose it is cool to see more people (and very powerful ones at that)
> backing Linux, but one of the main reasons I got into Linux in the first
> place was its anti-corporate orientation.  And obviously I don't just
> speak for myself on that one.  I'd rather seen IBM back Linux than
> Windows, but Linux always seemed to be doing ok without the big companies
> (IBM, Dell, Compaq - everyone seems to be jumping on the Linux bandwagon).
> Anyway, just my $0.02.
> -dgm

i think linux will continue to do fine for the stuff i use it for (and
presumeable you use it for also). it all depends on where you see linux
going in the future. if you want to see it used on the enterprise level,
then i really dont think this can be done without some type corporate
help. people just don't have the hardware lying around to experiment with.
also if someone wants to work full time on linux they will have to be
funded in some way. i would think the same issues would creap up with
respect to the embedded market.

if you just want to use linux for low end servers and workstations, then
it will no doubt continue fine without corporate help. personally if ms is
trying to penetrate the enterprise market-i would be happy to see linux
give them a run for their money. keep in mind that any contributions ibm
makes to the kernel is a contribtion to the community. linus would only
add corporate contribs if they were released under the gpl. so they would
also be free.

i also think that as long as linux is around we will have dists like
debian and slackware that are independent of corporate control (for those
who would argue that redhat, suse, mandrake etal. are too big).

john