[wplug] The Minimalist Desktop

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Mon Dec 31 16:12:26 EST 2001

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Brad Hoover wrote:

> Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season and a
> good new year.  Question:

Thanks - Happy New Year to you as well.

> I have an old p-100 machine with 16megs of ram (I will
> probably upgrade this), 850 mb harddrive, and 512k of
> video ram.  My question is: can someone suggest a
> distrobution to use on a machine this bare?  Plus, I

I'd say Slackware, but then again I don't have an unbiased opinion.  I use
Slack because I can walk through the system and rip out the stuff I don't
need by hand, and running strip on the remaining executables and not wreck
future packaging.

> would *like* to get x and a desktop running on it.
> So, what desktop/window manager would work well on
> this type of machine?

On a system like that I'd suggest Blackbox for the window manager - it's
got a very low memory footprint and few, if any, library dependencies
other than X itself.

    Doctor Who - SysOp, Crystal Chantry - telnet://chantry.virtadpt.net:2422/
"Whoa..  I feel kinda like God..."  -Cereal Killer