[wplug] comparing distros (was: iso small distros)

David Gerard Matthews Jr. dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Sun Dec 9 22:56:20 EST 2001

While we're on the subject of comparing different small distros for
wierd old machines, could anybody recommend the best *BSD variant for a
486SX?  I was digging around in my parents' attic this afternoon, and
found my old 486 (which I thought they had given away years ago) sitting
there all packed up.  It occurred to me that it might be fun to try some
random OS's and distros on it, and I thought *BSD might be a good place
to start, but I know bloody little about the BSD's and almost nothing
about the differences between them (except that NetBSD runs on
everything, OpenBSD's security obsessed, blah; blah.)
The box in question has 12 MB of RAM (I don't care about X although I
did run X on the machine a few years ago when I put RH 5 on it), a 1 gig
HD and a 200 MB HD, and a Creative CD-ROM (does *BSD support
non-IDE/SCSI CD's?).   It doesn't have a NIC, so a network install is
out unless someone feels like loaning me a supported ISA NIC.
Thanks,
dgm