[wplug] comparing distros (was: iso small distros)

Elwin Green bekitemba at excite.com
Sun Dec 9 13:25:08 EST 2001

Greetings, all -

First, thanks for the responses to my previous post. I've decided to go with
debian for now, because I really liked the documentation given at their
website.

However, I want to emphasize that that was my ONLY reason for choosing
debian over slackware in this instance. Otherwise, I know next to nothing
about the differences between them. Which leads to my next question: can
anyone point me to an aricle, website, or book that offers detailed
comparisons between distros?

The key word there is "detailed". All that I've read so far comes down to
statements like "distro x is easier to install," or "distro y is better for
the enterprise." I'm looking for something that would say, "distro x uses
runlevel 4 for a graphical login, and distro y uses runlevel 5," or "distro
x and distro y both place xFree's config file in location abc, and distro z
places it in location def." Or for that matter - something that would tell
me the functional difference, if any,  between a deb and an rpm (and not
just tell me that one format is debian's and the other is red hat's).

Pointers, anyone?

Thanks!

Elwin G.