[wplug] iso small distro

Elwin Green bekitemba at excite.com
Fri Dec 7 10:30:05 EST 2001

Greetings all-

I have inherited a dinosaur, and want to make it a pet.

The machine is a 386/33 with 4MB RAM, 2 SCSI drives (200 MB each). and a 3.5
floppy drive (NO CD-ROM). It has Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on it, and I'd
like to make it a pure Linux box, for learning purposes.

I've been looking for a small distro, but most of the ones I've found
require 8MB RAM, because they use ramdisks. Others either don't support
SCSI, or require a CD-ROM. I did find one - Martin's Mandrake 6 - which I
got up and running, but I couldn't find a text editor there (if anyone has
used it, did I overlook something?).

Can anyone recommend a distro that I can download to floppy and install to
hard drive, that supports SCSI, and that will work and play with 4MB RAM? (X
Windows neither necessary nor desired)

Thanks!

Elwin G.