[wplug] SBlive

DAVID G MATTHEWS dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Thu Dec 6 12:05:23 EST 2001

It depends on what you want to use the card for.  The guy I responded to
ssid that he wanted to use it for recording.  Kernel drivers in general
suck big time for recording.  They're fine for games or mp3's, but for
anything more advanced than that, you should use alsa.  Kernel drivers
have crappy latency, and they don't support more than 2 channels very
well.
Not only that, but there are some pretty basic technical flaws on the
SBLive card.  For one thing, it's hard-wired to 48 khz, so any 44.1 khz
audio (the sampling rate of CD's), it gets resampled to 48, ad then back
44.1.  Sampling rate conversion inherently involves a loss in quality.
Not only that, but any outocming audio automatically gets routed to the
effects unit (which is only accessible through winblows) before it gets to
te output.  The effects chip only accepts an analog signal, which means
that your audio is getting converted to analog to get to te effects chip,
then back to digital by th fx chip itself, then back to digital, and
finally back to analog by the DAC.  Multiple D/A/D conversions - yuck!
The SBLive is a fine consumuer card - but tat's wat it is: a consumer
card.  If you want to do any kind of sound editing or recording, it's not
te best choice.  (I say this because I have one and have been disappointed
- especially when using non-alsa drivers.)
-dgm