[wplug] RH7.2 panic on reboot after install

John john1 at husek.com
Sun Dec 2 12:33:48 EST 2001

Hi all,

I'm new to WPLUG.

I've been using linux for a while now, and can generally fix any problem I
come across... but not this one (at least not yet).

Any suggestions are more than welcome (even guesses).

The short version:
new RH7.2 install has kernel panic on first reboot (actually all boots)
after install.

The long version:
Athlon 1.2 GHz (266 FSB) on a Tyan Trinity (S2390B) motherboard with 128
MB RAM, and an IDE HD (seagate ST310212A, 10 GB).  I'm doing an install,
not an upgrade.  The install seems to work just fine, but it never reboots
OK.  It dies with a kernel panic which always seems to happen around the
same time as swap starts up (but that's more of a guess).  The error
scrolls off the screen, but what's left are things like:

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 000055f9
 <bunch of code junk>
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
00000000
 <bunch of code junk>
Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

I've made sure I've set the BIOS hard drive params to what Seagate
suggests (auto-detect, LBA mode).  I've used LILO and GRUB, I've made a
separate boot partition, removed all PCI cards (left the AGP video).
I've tried telling the bios there is (and isn't) a PnP OS installed.

I don't think there is a log available because I think it dies when
getting swap, let alone passing the fsck of the root partition (which, by
the way, is the only partition).

I've been trying things like changing available IRQ's, making smaller swap
partitions (128 MB).  Most of what I'm trying are basically shots in the
dark... and even at that I'm running out.

I'll probably have to suck it up soon and use 7.1 instead, but that would
just kill me.  ;)

-Scott
("john1" is just a username)