[wplug] Kernel installation woes on SuSE 7.2

David Gerard Matthews Jr. dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Fri Aug 31 22:49:38 EDT 2001

Greetings,
I just compiled kernel 2.4.9 (with low-latency patches) on my SuSE 7.2
box.  The build itself went painlessly, but actually booting the kernel
has been impossible.  I've built kernels before, so I knew how to update
lilo, and I did remember to run lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf.  I copied the
bzImage to my /boot directory, everything looks right (to me at least).
However, on reboot, lilo does not seem to recognize the new kernel, when
it gives me the list of bootable kernels, my new one isn't on it.  I
think some SuSE-specific configuration tool might be overwriting my
hand-tweaked lilo.conf, or there might be a file that I need to edit
that I've forgotten to.  I've been through all the SuSE docs and they
tend to assume that you're installing a kernel from rpm and are using
their config tools to do it.  Any ideas?
-dgm