[wplug] stopped jobs

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Tue Aug 28 22:13:25 EDT 2001

On Tuesday 28 August 2001 21:23, you wrote:
> Hi all!
>   Currently, when I start a job and then logout, the job stops running.
> What I want is for the job to keep running even though I logout.  I remeber
> having this problem on another machine 2 years back, however, I forgot what
> file to edit and what to change in that file.  Anyhelp would be greatly
> appreciated!

A solution to this which I particularly enjoy is 'screen'.  This program
basically allows you to have a multiple bash sessions running through one
terminal session.  What may be usefull to you is that you can detatch a
screen session.  This will return you to your original shell, but all off the
processes you started in screen will still be running.  You can then log out,
log back in anytime, and re-attatch the screen session.

Here is the description from freshmeat.net:

"Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a physical terminal
between several processes, typically interactive shells. Each virtual
terminal provides the functions of the DEC VT100 terminal and, in addition,
several control functions from the ANSI X3.64 (ISO 6429) and ISO 2022
standards (e.g., insert/delete line and support for multiple character sets)."

And finally, screen's homepage:

http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

Regards,
Zach