[wplug] postfix on dialup

Michael Procario procario at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 27 20:39:57 EDT 2001

There was a thread about setting up sendmail on a dialup machine
recently. It got me thinking about trying to get postfix whcih is what
Mandrake 8.0 comes with working. If I got it working I could use mutt
or exmh for my mailer. Neither seems to be able to send mail with a
MTA.

The postfix FAQ said just put in a relay_host command in main.cf. The
mail went to the correctplace but was bounced for an incorrectly
formatted address. It was bquark at localhost.localdomain.  I found a FAQ
at Redhat that said I could use a canonical map file to rewrite my
address to my real one. I tried it but it kept failing. Turn out the
command needed to turn on canonical address mapping was off by a
space.

I needed this in my main.cd file.

canonical_maps hash:/etc/postfix/canonical

I had

 canonical_maps hash:/etc/postfix/canonical

A leading space means a continuation line to postfix.

This mail sent with mutt who knows what I will try tomorrow.

Mike