[wplug] removing directories

Mark Dalrymple wplug at badgertronics.com
Mon Aug 27 14:42:46 EDT 2001

> Linuxgazette had a
> segment in the answer guys or my 2 cents where they had a BASH script which
> would alias the rm command to "mv * /tmp/$user"
> ... which emulates the Mac Trashcan ...

One gotcha with that scheme (which is why I don't recommend it to folks
usually) is that it's not a true safety net - you can lose information
in some cases.  e.g. with
  % cd blah
  % rm something
  % cd ../marklar
  % rm something

The second rm something has just wiped out your first something in the
trash-can directory.  If you're running under the assumption that your
modified 'rm' command is a safety net, you could be in for a rude
suprise.

++Mark Dalrymple, markd at badgertronics.com.  http://badgertronics.com
  "3. Start ParaSET. -- You've already done this, or you wouldn't be
   reading this online documentation. But for the record: start a session
   by typing:  paraset " -- ParaSET on-line docs