[wplug] Installfest preperation - Observation from the front line

Michael Skowvron michaels at pittsburgh.sgi.com
Mon Aug 27 14:09:55 EDT 2001

Zach Paine wrote:

> We should definately bring more cd's to installfests.  I will
> try to burn some and I would urge those with some time and a
> cd burner to burn some distros as well.

I once brought a really fast SGI server loaded with distributins
to an installfest in the hopes that people could do net installs.
Nobody would use it. Everyone just connected to their favorite
site on the net and started sucking. It was inefficient and made
things slow for everyone.

Having CDs is definite must. But net installs can be much more
convenient. The 100Mbit net that you guys use is fast enough to
have many systems all hitting the server at the same time and
still be just as fast as a CD install. Plus, it saves you from
having to watch the system and swap CDs.

But then I seem to think differently than most of wplug.

Michael