[wplug] removing directories

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Mon Aug 27 13:08:57 EDT 2001

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Weber, Larry A wrote:

> The process of building and installing new programs or libraries usually
> involves the creation of many temporary directories.  Is there an easy way
> to delete these directories after I complete the installation. (Something
> like windows, deltree).
>
> As root I have tried rmdir and rm -d,  neither of which will remove a
> directory containing a file.  rm -r works but prompts me before deleting
> every file.  I also noticed that rm asks me to confirm every delete.  I
> thought it would only do that with the -i option.

type 'alias rm'  By default, redhat setup up rm to be an alias to rm -i,
you can override that with -f (force) but becareful when using that.

> I have found a file titled 'core' in my home directory and another in my
> /root directory, different dates and sizes.  They are large files 2 to 8
> meg.  I don't know what created them.  Can they be removed?

They are created when a program crashes. They are helpful if you are
trying to debug a program, but otherwise you can delete them. You can run
'file core' and it should be able to tell you what program created them.

-james