[wplug] Installfest preperation - Observation from the front line

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Sat Aug 25 14:18:23 EDT 2001

On Saturday 25 August 2001 01:25, you wrote:
> From some past installfests, it seems that some people feel that the point
> of an installfest is to leach high speed bandwidth and that the event
> doesn't start until the router is up and running. IMO, the installfest
> should be about setting up and installing linux.

I also think that installation and configuration should be the focus of the
installfest, however, the internet can be a very useful tool.

>This means that
> you should have a backup plan. Bring a CD, have a friend bring one.

We should definately bring more cd's to installfests.  I will try to burn
some and I would urge those with some time and a cd burner to burn some
distros as well.

Installation is the biggest hurdle to running linux, but configuration is
right up there as well.  So I agree that if you are having trouble getting
something configured or usually just lack the time, the installfest is a good
resource.  To that end, if you know you want to work on something specific at
the installfest, email the list ahead of time so that those who are willing
to help can prepare.

Hopefully this conversation will help improve future installfests.

--
Zach Paine

For info on getting my PGP/GPG public key see:
http://www.wplug.org/~zman/key.htm