[wplug] sendmail curiosity

Doug Green doug.green at verizon.net
Wed Aug 22 22:14:37 EDT 2001

I think I mean (?) setting up sendmail itself. In order to use things
like pine and mutt I need to have sendmail and fetchmail configured.
However, other mail programs (evolution, balsa, etc.) just need to be
pointed to an SMTP server and they work. So my question is: if I use
sendmail with something like pine, do I no longer need to use the smtp
server of my ISP? The man pages of sendmail state that it "...sends
messages to one or more recipients, routing the message over whatever
networks are necessary." So, can I assume that means that all mail
routing is being done by my local machine (ie: no need to use an smtp
server)? Thanks in advance for the help!
Doug