[wplug] iptables/netfilter talk

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Thu Aug 16 23:09:44 EDT 2001

Hey all,
	I'm going to attempt to give a talk at the September GUM on the
subject of iptables/netfilter/firewalls/etc and I need some information
people who are likely to attend. Most of the howtos I've found have been
fairly basis, cookie cutter, and said if you have a modem and want to do
masquading, use this. For my setup at home, I have a firewall with 4
ethernet cards, 16 routable IP addresses and 7-8 machines currently, some
are masqueraded, some are statically nat'ed, so I needed a little more
than what the cookie cutter tutorials were providing.  What I need to know
is, what level should I set for this talk? If you plan to attend, email me
the answers to these questions. I probably won't reply to them, and
PLEASE, don't reply to the list if you are just answering the questions.

-james

Are you currently using the internet?
A) Yes

What are you currently using for internet security?
A) iptables
B) ipchains
C) ipfwadm
D) a big stick
E) nothing
F) other (specify)

Do you have more than one machine?
A) 1
B) 2-5
C) 5 or more

Do you run servers on any of your machines? (apache, sendmail, etc)
A) Yes
B) No

What is your primary internet connection?
A) pppX   (modem)
B) ethX   (dsl, cable, T1, etc)

Anything else that might be unique to your setup? I can't promise to
include everything, but this might help me add things that are useful to
people.