[wplug] Partitions

mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 7 12:11:15 EDT 2001

No, there are good solid reasons to split your partitions:

/home should definitely be separate, so that you can reinstall everything
else without touching the /home partition.  Very handy for reinstalling
a new distribution, say.

/var should be separate because log files and other things may overflow,
(especially if someone is trying to DoS you) and you don't want that
to take up all the space on the / partition.  Similarly you may
consider making /tmp separate.

A good reason to make /usr separate is so you can bring up the base
system (/ only) without have all the stuff in /usr having to be
brought online too (and fscked, etc).

The rationale for making /boot separate was that earlier versions of
LILO needed to boot off a partition that was < 1024 cylinders.  No need
for that anymore, especially if you use a decent bootloader like GRUB.

/ 150MB (enough for kernel, /lib, /etc, /bin, /sbin)
/var 500MB (log files can get big, and mail spools here too)
/tmp 200MB (depends)
/usr, /home (split between, depending on how much room you want users to have)

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 12:03:05PM -0400, DAMON C RAGNO wrote:
> it's just one drive, just make it one big partition. I never bought into
> the idea of having 50 partitions for /home, /usr/ /var and what have you.
> My Theory is that if something currupts your files, , your HD is
> broken. THen you have more important things to worry about, like
> hardware failure.Different partitons only make sense if you have more then
> one drive, like a separate one for /home
>
> I'm all about being proved wrong here, I've kinda always courious to why
> people go though the pita of doing that. I've heard of a speed increase,
> but it's still just one drive. I don't see where it would come from.
>
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Romano, Christopher wrote:
>
> > I am getting ready to install slack on one of my machines and don't really
> > know how to setup the partitions.  I have Red Hat on it now and normally
> > just put everything under "/".  I know that this isn't the best setup.  I
> > plan on using this machine as a webserver, DHCP server, and an FTP server
> > maybe a DNS too.  My HD is about 4 gigs.  What's a good configuration?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Chris

;; Matthew Danish                         email: mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu ;;
;; OpenPGP public key available from:        'finger mrd at db.debian.org' ;;