[wplug] networking security

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Mon Apr 30 12:46:12 EDT 2001

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Smith, Edward wrote:

> >I'd look at renting the modem (it's part of the monthly fees and you'd be
> >paying it anyway) and get a linksys hub/firewall if you need it. Using
> cable
> >for two years, I use an RH6.2 P100 machine to do NAT, firewall, apache, and
> >sendmail and haven't been hacked.
>
> I actually use one of those 4-port Linksys boxes as my
> hub/switch/router/gateway/simple FW.
>
> So far i've been pretty happy with it except that you can only forward 10
> port ranges in from the outside world. Which if your not running any servers
> isn't a problem.

i'm setting up one of those right now. (i think it's a netgear) i messed
with it a week or so ago and i'm supposed to finish up today. the one i
was messing with had a demilitarized zone (DMZ) which can point all ports
to a specified ip behind the box. at least that is how i remembered it
works. so even then if you have a server it should be ok. not very secure
though.

Linux is a trademark of Linus "Not as sexy as Elvis" Torvalds
                            -[From an IBM ad]