[wplug] Software Raid

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Mon Apr 30 00:04:39 EDT 2001

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, David G Matthews wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about setting up a software RAID?  I read

A bit - I have done this with a few servers in the past.

> something about it, and I thought it looked neat, but I figured it might
> be worth it to find out more before I try it.

It takes a couple of tries to get it right, so start with a system you can
torch a few times while experimenting.  Once you get it down it is a
breeze.

> What I'm most interested in would be RAID Level 0 (interleaved striping
> across 2 discs with no redundancy) because I want better performance but
> not redundancy.  My discs are ATA 66 (well, actually, one of them's an ATA
> 100, but I don't have an ATA 100 controller, so it's running at 66) on the
> same controller.  I would probably use the Reiser FS.

The RAID howto gives a lot of good background information, but I had
difficulty getting it running smoothly with its techniques.  The Redhat
installation (v6.2) builds and formats RAID partitions, which went like a
charm.  The howto's method worked best with non-boot drives after the
system was already up and running.

-><-   Doctor Who -- KSV bani PLI -- finger for PGP/GnuPG public keys  -><-
Don't ask me, I'm making this up as I go!