[wplug] ./configure

Brian Sammon bsammon at yifan.net
Sun Apr 29 06:07:42 EDT 2001

> I have been trying to compile a couple of different programs and I keep
> getting this error.
> "checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= 2.0) (libraries) not found.
> Please check your installation!"
> In the readme file with one of the programs it said to try "./configure
> --with-qt-dir=/path/to/qt/dir" and I tried this with no luck at all. I
> have four qt libraries 1.45, 2.2.0, 2.2.2 and 2.2.4. They are located in
> /usr/lib. I am using KDE 2.1 with RedHat 7.0. One program is xmms-kde
> and I think the other was kweather, they are both KDE applets. Let me
> know if any further information is needed. Thanks.

Have you successfully compiled any programs on this system before?

I would get bizarre errors like this on new installs and they would turn out
to be caused by me missing something else that the configure script just
assumes that you have.  Usually it was some utility that you don't need for
general system usage, but is taken-for-granted as being on a system for
compiling stuff.

Unfortunately I can't remember any of the specific details.  I usually ended
up poking around the (rather large) configure script and searching for the
message it gave (such as "checking for Qt") and figuring out what it did and
then running that test manually to see what happened.