[wplug] Re: IDE vs SCSI

Gordon grundoon at stargate.net
Fri Apr 27 21:32:53 EDT 2001

Why argue from ignorance when authoritative data
and well informed opinions are so easy to find?:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/compCost-c.html

In my (never humble) opinion I would expect better
quality control on SCSI drives (but IDE/ATA drives
would still be cheaper if half of them failed).

A lot of very interesting facts about IDE & SCSI
can be found by clicking "up" at the above website.

The most significant practical differences between
the two, which are of no significance in the current
context, is that an IDE cable supports at most two
drives and may be no longer than 18 inches, whereas
an SCSI cable will support up to seven devices and
may be as long as 18 feet!

-- Gordon