[wplug] Cable Modems

Brad Hoover b_hoovs at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 18:03:30 EDT 2001

Hello all,

I have noticed that some of you have cable modems.
I'm planning on getting one in about a month from
AT&T. I'm curious as to how everyone likes the
service?  I also have several other questions:

1.  I'm going to buy a cable modem rather than rent
one from AT&T.  Not knowing a lot about cable modems,
are there any differences to look for when shopping
for one?

2.  Plus do I need to worry about hardware
compatibility if I try to run it under Linux?  I'm
under the assumption (and I may be wrong) that it
shouldn't be a concern because the coax goes into the
cable modem, then the cable modem connects to a hub or
nic via ethernet cable.

Thanks, Brad