[wplug] New box

Reany, Burt breany at trigon.com
Wed Apr 25 10:03:16 EDT 2001

My original understanding of (E)IDE vs. SCSI was that the IDE devices had no
on-board control capability, while SCSI devices DO have on-board logic. When
the single-threaded IDE controller receives a task, it connectes to the
required device, performs the task - waiting for successfol completion of
the task by the device - and then was ready for the next task. SCSI devices
have on-board logic - a new task for a device is given, by the controller,
to the logic on the drive itself for completion. The controller then
detaches from the device,  and is free to handle additional requests for
other devices. By the time that the drive signals back to the controller
that it's task has been completed, the controller may have been able to
invoke several other I/O activities on other devices - multi-tasking. This
extra logic circuitry on each SCSI device - and the implied ability to
reduce elapsed function time, with careful file and table component
placement - is what escalates (and justifies?) the higher cost of these
devices. I personally use SCSI on my home systems - but that's more because
I have access to a stream of SCSI equipment being removed from service than
because interleaved multi-device data access is a requirement.

Whoops; it sounds as tho I'm on my soap-box again.  Excuse me, I'll go back
to my room - -.